1.20.2005

Sweet Dreams Are Made Of...

I've finally sold out.

I stayed up late last night and watched the live telecast of American Idol.

It wasn't to find out who'd be the next American Idol, it was to see who had the gall and self delusion to think they actually had a chance. For an hour and a half, I wasn't, even for one second, disappointed.

To give credit where it is due, there were thos who were truly talented. Perhaps what helped them shine were the hordes of people who weren't.

Is it part of American culture to be delusional?
Besides the one girl who was indeed unquestionably delusional (and somehwat schizophrenic), there were many who believed they actually could sing, using any, and all excuses to make it to the next cut. They've heard it all: God sent me, it's my destiny, I believe I am... Lord, what fools these mortals be.

Perhaps the most admirable person in the show is Simon. He's managed to stay honest (I dare not preceed it with 'brutally') despite the constant attacks on his opinion and integrity. It's hard to be truthful, even to criticize constructively, when some would rather exist in an alternate reality - some lofty, self-promoting prallel dimension.

It seems the American Dream ('fat like a chocolate eclair'), as much as it has been implanted in many refugees' minds still pulls heartstrings in Americans. They'd risk so much just to be there - sad stories about leaving families, splitting bands, and selling wedding rings just to pursue a dream. Sure it's touching, more apt to cap the nightly news rather than American Idol. After all, the question is 'Can you sing?' not 'What did you risk to get here?' Any other answer would be a fallacy, remember children?

What's really incredible about the show is how it inspires you to sing out loud yourself. Then you hit the high note, shift into falsetto and realize it's not meant to be. Thank God our feet are firmly planted in front of the TV screen instead of risking it all for some silly crack at being the next superstar.

No comments: