1.23.2005

Sunday (Reckless) Driver

Who says Sunday Drives are slow?

Got up bright and early today, shook off my hangover, and headed over to the dealership, for today was testdrive day.

We were sort of late, as most of the prospective buyers were pulling out already, making their way to Tagaytay. I was thinking I’d be stuck with 316i, but lo and behold, there was a shiny red 325i M Sport waiting for me.

“Would you like to drive, sir?”

“Would I?!?”

Chris arrived a couple of minutes after, but I had my hands firmly on the wheel. He’d have to settle for the passenger seat, at least till the next stop. But no, out of nowhere, the guy whips out the keys to Z3 Coupe. What the?

Chris had a smile 5 miles wide.

So we briskly made our way up, SMG’ing all the way. I thought I’d pick up the pace and continue on ahead. Let’s open this baby up.

Snaking through the slow 100 kph traffic, hitting 180, but oh, this baby wanted more. I had to oblige. So I take the long sweeping over pass into the SLEX. Not a tire screech. Damn. I’ma have to break her in, properly.

We’ve hit Petron and hadn’t caught up with any others yet. They must’ve been pushing pretty hard too. So I took it upon myself to catch, at least a 5 series. The traffic going up helped slow things a little, and the X5 was in sight. You’re mine baby. I may have pissed off a couple of compacts and bikers, but at this point I think I’ve properly broken in the 3.

Well, I overdid it and came to a point where I wasn’t even sure if I’ve overshoot the breakfast place or still had it coming. Luckily a lowly 318 was also as perplexed. Tailing him, I found the place and it was off to a hearty brunch. Ever see so many bimmers in a parking lot? The regulars were just as perplexed.

After the lunch, compliments of the dealer, a client wanted to take my M for a spin. Fine. I’d have the Zed on the way down.

It was 10 am. "Too early," I thought. Istokwa? Too tempting to resist. Talisay was just a set of twisties away. With the keys to the Zed and no supervision… aww, what the hell!

So we zoomed past the Sta. Rosa junction and headed to the notorious road. Half the way down was spoiled by a couple of sunday drivers. I’d take them on the straight away.

As I pulled out of the pack and floored on through, a yellow Civic RS made a break for it. A battle? Oh, this is getting better and better.

I never let him out of my sight. He was pushing a 100%. I was just 6/10ths. Hairpin by hairping, the tires squeeled for mercy. Not with 6 pots, oversteer and the confidence-inspiring DSC to back me up. Slipped a couple of times but stability control was a pat in the back. Pumped the brakes just to make sure my rotors wouldn’t give out. It was the final straight before the lake, the Civic made a break for it on a blind curve. I thought I’d stay safely behind an Anfra. When the coast was clear, I throttled past. Who would’ve guessed it? The Civic was parked at the curb, brakes on fire. See’ya! Adding insult to injury, we took a U-ey and went right back up the stage. Worth another round. If Takumi Fujiwara could see me now…

On the way back, I eased up. Seeing the VTEC3 on fire was all the satisfaction I’d need. So I eased off the throttle from then on… occaissionally. The sweet six was just too tempting. Took us an hour to get back, but we still beat the 320d with the trailer to it on the final straight.

Last? Well, we just said we had to stop and take photos. They’d understand.

And the owner? “Well I hope you enjoyed it. That car doesn’t like to be babied.”

“Really?” I answered.

Oh If you only knew.

No comments: